August 17, 2010

Walking

I'm predominantly home with the boys this summer. I love that they can still have a pretty low-key relaxing summer, cottaging, sleeping in, getting re-acquainted with each other.

I still have niggling guilt that we should be out doing things, and since the budget is limited this summer, if I can find something to do that is free I'm all over it.

The way I grew up was pretty typical, lots of museums, running around the neighbourhood, swimming, and walking through woods checking out everything.

Mike isn't really interested in hiking through the woods. We still haven't pieced together what he spent his time doing during his childhood, beyond running the streets in packs and crashing bikes into brick walls.

So last week, I looked up the location of the trails I have been driving by. I don't feel very safe walking them by myself (safe from all the couples trying to find a quiet spot, if you know what I mean. yuck.), but I figured if I brought a gaggle of boys with me there's no way anyone would bother me.

We went last week and did two trails. The boys loved it:

So we went out again today. Got a little lost (as in, we took a detour off the main trail and it went on FOREVER. Apparently if we continued on, we could have hiked to Kingston.), but they still had fun.



Maybe we'll conquer all trails by next August and be ready for all the walking we'll do at our favourite place.

No comments: