April 16, 2010

What Was I Thinking?

Our house out here in the country is a 70's house. It reminds me of the house we had in Halifax as kids, with a big fireplace that is exposed at the back in the dining room.

I have fallen in and out, and back in love with this house. There is a long list of things that need to be done, some big renovations and a few small cosmetic. For instance, our main bathroom is a mess. It has a green tub & surround, blue sink, blue toilet, navy blue peel & stick tiles and had navy blue walls! It has potential for sure, but our money has been designated for other more fun things right now (disney!) so it can wait. I painted the walls, and for now I can tolerate it.

Unfortunately what I've found, having this be our third house we've owned, it takes me at least two tries before I get a room colour right. Our first house I painted our foyer twice (once neon yellow, oops. and then the right shade), the second house I painted the hallway and our bedroom twice.

This house, so far, I have re-done our bedroom twice. And now the living room. This is the first colour I tried.
Check out the vivid green behind the dining room table. Mmm, not so much loving it. Oops again.

So I picked up some paint samples (finally! samples! $5 at Home Depot). Thankfully, my youngest son sees colour better than I do. He informed me that of first two samples I brought home, one was too brown and the other too grey. So the third one really was the charm.

Yay! So much better. The colour doesn't fight with the wood trim (which unfortunately has a lot of orange in it) and it's warm and cozy. It's my favourite room again. All it needs are some great curtains and rug and I'm ready for my Project Runway marathon.

No comments: