June 23, 2010

Thrifty Fixes

We all have one. Admit it.

An old Ikea shelf in our house. A little worse for wear from multiple moves, it's partner probably put out on the front lawn for pick-up. But somewhere, in the house you now live in, is the shelf.

Mine has somehow ended up in our family room. It had a siamese twin & a taller partner, but alas it is the only one that remains (and I'm pretty sure this one came from my sister).

I really, really love a pattern I've been noticing on some of the design blogs I read. Arranging your books by COLOUR! I love it. Did I say that already? Since I was feeling 'nesty' last night, that's what I did:


I couldn't help the middle shelf, unfortunately. It won't co-operate. I'll have to find all the books scattered in every room of my house & change it. I also added some fabric on the bottom, with the help of my trusty staple gun, to hide this mess:


Ahh, isn't that serene. (No judging on the book choices, I'm not a snob.)

Change of topic, Mike & I celebrated our 14th wedding anniversary last week with *shocker* a pint at the local Irish pub. Why do I find signs like these sooo appealing.

At one point in our marriage, very early on, we used to discuss opening a pub. Totally unrealistic considering neither of us has actually ever worked in one. But we both love the true Irish pubs, you know the ones. Two rooms with the bar in the middle on both sides, one room having couches & booths and t.v.s, the other tables for eating. Dog lying by the bar.

Of course we wanted to own one in Ireland. We've both been, Mike in '90 and me in '93. Can't wait to go with him, let's hope it's not another 20 years.

No comments: